Friday, April 15, 2011

All It Took Was A Peruvian Carver, A Friend, And A Stitch Or Two.

Last summer I made the Lotus Blossom Tank by Sharon Shoji from the summer 2006 issue of Interweave Knits.  It is such a pretty pattern and it knit up nicely in South West Trading Company TerraThe yarn is 50% bamboo and 50% cotton, has a nice drape and great stitch definition, and is a lovely nutmeg brown.  I was so disappointed when I tried it on as the neck gaped open so much that it wasn't wearable.  Bra straps were exposed and bending forward was an absolute no-no.  It even gaped out over a tee and just plain looked sloppy.  I tried to steam block it in a bit with no success.  Then I ran a line of yarn around the neck and pulled that up.  It looked exactly like I ran a line of yarn around the neck and pulled it up, not good.  So, since then it has languished in a basket waiting for, I don't know, something.  

My friend, Peg, went to Victoria a couple of weeks ago and visited the Button Boutique, an awesome shop in Trounce Alley (take a virtual tour here ).  She brought me back this great button, carved in Peru from a gourd.






It is one of those buttons that just has to have the right home.  I dug out the Lotus Blossom tank, tucked a little pleat in the middle of the front and sewed the button in place.  


I am so happy to be able to wear this top now and be comfortable with the way it looks and fits.  I'm not sure if I'll be wearing it without something underneath (besides a bra, of course) as it would probably show a bit more skin than I like to, but who knows? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Button looks good on that lovely top. Funny how it looks almost pink in the close-up shot.
Glad to be able to make the top a bit more wearable!! Peg

knittingdragonflies said...

OOO I like this solution!
I have looked at the recent knitting mags and noticed most, if not all of the models are wearing some sort of shirt or top under most summer like knitted tops!
I think yours looks great.
A happy accident!!
Vicki